watercolor6

The Wind in My Sails

The other day my devotional was about the holy spirit again, here's what it had to say...
A Few weeks after my watershed moment reading Romans, i went to work at a christian camp for the summer. For staff training, we broke into small groups if fifteen and left for several days to "bond". Some groups went hiking, biking, or rock climbing; our loaded up a thirty-foot boat called a Voyageur canoe and headed to the Lake Michigan coast. During each set of one hundred strokes, a pair of paddlers got to rest-a system we quickly learned to appreciate.  Later i wrote: I want to sail rather than row. I want to move forward in life and ministry by the power of the holy spirit, rather than by my own  tiny will. Sure, sailing isn't always predictable; if the wind falls or a storm rises, so be it. I will drift again or ride it out or a seek a harbor somewhere. But to spend my life rowing, without a moment's relief-exhausted; blistered; aching all over; numb in body, mind, and spirit; more slave than crew...It's my own doing if i fail to raise the sails and let the holy spirit do the work; and it's my own doing if I never arrive at the destination God has for me-Sarah Arthur.

This really got me thinking about how sometimes we get to caught up in thinking that we can do everything ourselves when in reality we truly need God to do the work for us. "I want to sail rather than row. i want to move forward in life and ministry by the power of the Holy Spirit, rather than by own tiny will".  I want that, i want to sail through life clinging to the power of the Holy Spirit instead of trying to do it on my own...i  must admit sometimes i do try to do it on my own even though i know full well that i cannot. I have learned that this year, that no matter what i do i cannot do it without God's help and if i trust in him everything will work out. I've learned that giving all my cares and worries to God is the best thing i can do, because he definetly provides. God's plans are so much better than my own! Amen. My prayer for this summer is that i would let the holy spirit guide me in life and ministry to others, i pray that God would help me to continue to see others as he sees them. God has continually reminded me that he loves me so much more than anyone ever could. (see Isaiah 43:4) 

61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”- John 6:61-65

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24