watercolor6

Not only with Words

My devotional the other day was talking about how scripture can transform lives, here's what it had to say,
"when we brought you the Good News, it was not only with words but also with power. For the Holy Spirit gave you full assurance that what we said was true"- Thessalonians 1:5
That phrase "not only with words" touches on an issue that continues to fascinate me as i read the scriptures and witness my own and the others spiritual growth. Something is going on in the Bible that's greater than the sum of it's parts. You can string all of words together into sentences, and they can be meaningful, but they don't transform lives the way scripture does. The word of God is alive and powerful, wrote the author of Hebrews, "it is sharper than the sharpest two edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, it exposes our innermost thoughts and desires" -Hebrews 4:12 To which i reply, you're not kidding, i've experienced this in my own life and i've watched it happen to countless others in the church. We can't get enough of God's word. We devour every spiritual book we're given. We're constantly asking "what's next?" we can't be called off this unstinting quest for more of God, for more of the bible. So what made the difference? The presence and power of the holy spirit- that's the only way i can account for what's going on. One moment the world and it contains is utterly ordinary, and the next...-Sarah Arthur.

This got me thinking about how scripture has affected my life, i can't help but go back to Hebrews 4:12 where it says, "it is sharper than the sharpest two edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, it exposes our innermost thoughts and desires", this made me think about when i read my bible and there are those verses that just hit me and i say to God, "Thanks that's just what i needed". Joshua 1:9 is my favorite verse, It reminds me that God is with me wherever i go and he will never leave my side. So good! Another verse that has made my heart so full is Isaiah 43:4 it says, "Since you are precious and honored in my sight,  and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life". This reminds me of his all consuming, unending love...amen to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24