watercolor6

The Expected Unexpected

In the absence of a specific date that stays the same each year, it seems appropriate to tackle Pentecost at this point in our liturgical story. Not that i advocate switching the church calendar around. The book of acts is quite clear about dates and times for this particular event. The holy spirit came upon the disciples during the festival of Pentecost which in those days came fifty days after the celebration of passover. Anyway, before his ascension, Jesus told his disciples, "Do not leave Jerusalem until the father sends you the gift he promised...John baptized with water , but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:4-5) It must have felt like a sad, empty place.Their leader was gone-again. They probably felt restless, wondering what Jesus mean by the fathers promise. And it was while they were meeting that the expected unexpectedly happened. Suddenly they were caught in a supernatural hurricane, a spiritual volcano, a cosmic flood. The holy spirit descended upon them, even as he rose up within them and they were engulfed by the power and the presence of God like never before. They become like the prophets of old, empowered to speak the truth- but bolder.  No longer would they pine after their distant and departed teacher; the spirit of Jesus was now the air in their lungs, the fire in their eyes, the words on their lips. -Sarah Arthur

This got me thinking about the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. It's so powerful, yet so hidden to touch. It's amazing how God works in our lives, he never ceases to amaze me. Today was an emotionally draining day. I have been working on my internship for next fall and that has caused a lot of frustration. Today i had an emotional breakdown about it all...just everything that i have been going through this semester. No doubt i have grown from it so much, God has definitely used my suffering for good. James 1:2-4 has been encouraging for me through it all. God says, "Consider it pure joy", i don't know about you but at first i didn't think of my suffering as joyful, but  God has definitely showed me that he Loves me more than i will ever know and that daily he is romancing to me. I don't know about you but that makes my heart feel so full! God has continually been showing me this week that He is all i need and that no one else could love me more than he does. (Soak up Read Isaiah 43:4.)  so remember that even when you are experiencing suffering, God is right there continually shaping you into the godly man or women that he wants you to be.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything"- James 1:2-4

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you"- Song of Solomon 4:7. he is all need!

 This song really made my heart so full when i listened to it, it's so good!
Open Hands, by Matt Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24