watercolor6

Gone to the Birds

Today my devotional was talking about Psalm 84, which is my favorite psalm. And though i dislike birds greatly, the message made me think a lot. Here's what it had to say...
Today it's so warm the birds are confused and think it's full on summer. They're singing away and nesting like crazy, which reminds me of the robins that built a nest over our back door last year. At first I was not happy.The last thing i wanted were "neighbors" that pooped on my head and dive bombed me every time i exited my house. When i read today's Psalm, i'm tickled by the idea that there would have been birds flying in and out of the ancient temple in Jerusalem all year round. That's because it had no glass on the windows. While the people knelt solemnly in prayer and priests offered sacrifices, the birds cheerfully chirped and flew around and built their nests in the high corners at the top of pillars, where the priests couldn't reach. What a mess the swallows considered holier than others-such as the most holy place, where not even the priests built their nests wherever they pleased, even right over the high altar behind the curtain that hid the Most Holy Place from the rest of the sanctuary. I can just picture the psalmist kneeling on the floor, glancing up in amusement as he watched the birds coming and going. All he desired was to get close to God, to make his spiritual home as close to God's holiness as possible, no matter what kind of fuss everybody made about it. So he was jealous that the birds could make their home in the very heart of the sanctuary, where humans dared not go. He wished he could be like them, going fearlessly every day where angels fear to tread. what if we wanted that too? -Sarah Arthur

This got me thinking about what if we made our home in the very heart of the sanctuary of God. Woah! Think about it. what if we wanted that? As psalm 84 says...I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere...amen to that!
1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
   LORD Almighty!
2 My soul yearns, even faints,
   for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out
   for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
   and the swallow a nest for herself,
   where she may have her young—
a place near your altar,
   LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
   they are ever praising you.[c]
 5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
   whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
   they make it a place of springs;
   the autumn rains also cover it with pools.[d]

7 They go from strength to strength,
   till each appears before God in Zion.

 8 Hear my prayer, LORD God Almighty;
   listen to me, God of Jacob.
9 Look on our shield,[e] O God;
   look with favor on your anointed one.

 10 Better is one day in your courts
   than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
   than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
   the LORD bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
   from those whose walk is blameless.

 12 LORD Almighty,
   blessed is the one who trusts in you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24