watercolor6

Three Words

The other day my devotional was talking about being overwhelmed here's what it had to say....
One of my favorite authors, a twentieth century British novelist by the name of Elizabeth Goudge, tells the story of a young woman named Mary who struggled with mental illness. Mary would go through seasons of depression and hospitalization, after which she felt raw and scared, wondering when the next bout would begin. After one those bouts, when she had been feeling better for a while, her mother invited a group of people over for tea. One the guests was a sweet elderly clergyman who seemed a bit out of place. He didn't have the same social graces as everyone else and as constantly spilling teas or getting crumbs on his shirt. Just before he left he said: My dear love, your God is trinity. There are three necessary prayers and they have three words each. They are these, "Lord have mercy. i adore. Into thy hands" Not to difficult to remember. If in times of distress you hold to these you will do well. Three simple prayers three words each. Perhaps the next time you're overwhelmed with pain, anxiety, or fear- the next time words fail- these simple prayers can be a lifeline, like they are for me- Sarah Arthur

When i look at my own spiritual life i know there are times when i am overwhelmed and in God's word i find comfort. A while back when i was struggling with feeling overwhelmed over a relationship i found comfort in James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." It reminded me that despite the trials that i may be going through God is right there holding me in his arms and letting me know it will be okay, i don't know about you but i find comfort in that. It reminded me of a song by Francesca Battistelli called this is the stuff which says, " In the middle of my little mess I forget how big I'm blessed". This is a reminder that despite the mess that i was going through, God was and continues to still be faithful. Remember, that God will provide even if we don't see it.

Pslam 9:9-14 says...
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
 a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you,
   for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion;
proclaim among the nations what he has done.  For he who avenges blood remembers;
   he does not ignore the cries of the afflicted. LORD, see how my enemies persecute me!
   Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death,  that I may declare your praises
   in the gates of Daughter Zion,
   and there rejoice in your salvation.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24