watercolor6

The More Enduring Story

 Today my devotional was talking about telling others God's word, here's what it had to say...
When i was a full time youth minister, i had a mailbox at the church where people could drop things off for me. Now and then I'd find some article or curriculum stuffed in there by a well meaning parent who was concerned about the "teen scene"-parties, drugs, sex, binge drinking. etc. did you read the article? They'd ask later. But how was i to explain that i cared too much about their kids to teach anything but the gospel? You see, i believe the sort of Jesus is eternal. It's the only news worth hearing, once you step inside that story, the world begins to lose it's grip on your soul. Sure, you may still struggle in your friendships, wrestle with unhealthy behaviors, and make poor decisions. But the longer you live inside the story- the longer you marinate in the flavor of the character of Christ- the more it becomes part of who you are. In time, it doesn't matter what temporary cultural scene you find yourself in: Christ is all in all. -Sarah Arthur.

When i read the verse for this devotional, i couldn't help but re-read the first three sentences of the verse over and over again, "And so it was with me, brothers and sister. when I came to you, i did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as i proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For i resolved to know nothing, I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling..."  This made me think about how even in the times that we feel broken, or sad or alone, God still wants us to seek him no matter what we are feeling. He wants us to come to him with fear and trembling. Phillippians 2:12 says,"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling"


"And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling.  My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,  so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power".-1 Corinthians 2:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24