watercolor6

God's own Armor

Today my devotional talked about  God's own armor here's what it had to say, "Put on the full armor of God" wrote the apostle Paul to his friends in Ephesus. "So that you can take your stand against the devils schemes" Ephesians 6:10-17 contains one of the most famous images or metaphors in the Bible: putting on spiritual armor like a Roman solider of ancient times, dressed for battle from head to toe. The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit. "which is the word of God" When i was growing up, my mom taught us hand motions to go with this passage, and we said it together as a family before we left the house each morning. For most of my life, I've thought of this spiritual armor as a kind of cookie cutter outfit that all foot soldiers are given. But this time around I'm struck by the phrase "God's armor" as if this is no ordinary suit but God's own outfit, given to me to wear. What about you? I say, but he's already ushering me outside into the sunshine and waving me off. I look back at his vulnerable figure, standing there unprotected and alone, while the rest of the army goes about it's business around him. And i can't help wondering: how many blows will my Lord take for me while I'm out there conquering evil using his own armor? How many hits has he already taken? - Sarah Arthur

My thoughts-
When i read this i thought about all of the hits God has already taken for me and how everyday he wants us to put on his armor and fight against the evil that we encounter every day. God is literally giving us his own outfit to go out into the world with and we are to use it wisely. Like it said in the devotional, the words "God's armor" really tugged at my heart strings and made me think about what it means to put on his armor everyday and use it to glorify him. After this i opened up my bible to ephesians 6:10-17 which says,
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God- Ephesians 6:10-17
I think that it's so important that we remember to put on God's armor everyday because we can't do it on our own no matter how much we try, in the end we just can't. With God all things are possible. So grab your bible and go soak up his word and his presence.


Sidenote- So tonight i skype video chatted  with my friend Hillary, it was great! I miss her a lot since she's pretty much in my room everyday at school it's weird being at home and not having her here. It was great though, we were definitely pretty silly by the end of the chat. I love her! God has truly blessed me with an amazing friend in Hillary and i am truly thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24